The Wildiaries Experience | HOME
Whales can be expected to be seen daily but finding the right whales to swim with can take time and “patience” is the key. This is nature and our expert guides will not harass whales for the sake of a swim. Over the course of the week you will get some great swims with the humpback whales in the Kingdom of Tonga.
This 8-day tour starts the moment you land in Tonga when we pick you up from Nuku’Alofa airport and we transport you to our private guesthouse. You will be met by our tour leader who along with Tongan crew and hospitality staff will be looking after you during your stay. While it’s possible to go the whole week barely opening your wallet, we have two non-swim days, where you can explore or relax. This includes the Sunday, which is a cultural day off. On this day you can attend a local church service (an amazing cultural experience in itself), hang out at the accommodation or take the supplementary snorkelling day tour to picturesque Pangaimotu Island which includes lunch. The other non whale swim day is the day we choose as the least favourable for whale swims. There is an optional cultural tour that also includes lunch, or you can relax at the accommodation and explore the markets. Chef-cooked evening meals are provided (with vegetarian meals and other dietary requirements accommodated).
For five of the days we will be heading to the harbour and boarding our whale swim vessel. As our trips are all guided by licensed and trained whale swim guides we can cater for most experience levels, even younger children. We may start the day for newcomers with a snorkel dive on one of the pristine reefs. Under the careful guidance of our whale specialist, we will spend time looking for and learning about whales. Finding the right whales means getting the best encounters possible - and while we have had up to 15 swims in a day, sometimes a single swim can last over an hour. It just depends on the whales‘ mood and that’s where our experts make all the difference to your experience.
Main points of difference
- Guided by a marine mammal biologist, who is also on of the region’s top experts
- Ethically run (we do not target mother and calf whales)
- 5 days of whale swims
- Guest house with meals included
- Situated on the main island of Tongatapu (no extra days, time-consuming or costly transfers)
- No single supplements
TRAVEL AND ACCOMMODATION
- 7 nights’ accommodation: 6 in our secure, private guesthouse (including the first night arrival as early as 2am), the 7th and final night in a resort near the airport.
- 5 days whale swims (on the best 5 days out of six, excluding Sunday for cultural reasons)
- Airport and vessel transfers
- Expert guides and hospitality staff on hand 24/7 (minimal non-Tongan staff Sunday)
- 7 continental style buffet breakfasts
- 5 lunches on board whale swims
- 5 chef-prepared dinners
- Use of snorkelling gear and wetsuits
From $4270.00 * AUD
Price is per person. No single supplements apply.
- Ensuite room $50 per night
- Extra night $175
- Cultural tour $150
Enquire about trip extensions
Our licensed travel agent can arrange all travel to and from tour locations. We can also arrange fully-guided options as well as tailoring packages for families and groups travelling together.